Saturday 12 January 2013

Slipper Training with Matt and Claire

Horrible weather today, raining and an Easterly F3-6, very gusty.  One of those occasions where you know you'll feel good after being out, but it is difficult to motivate to get out in the first place.  It seems my training partners for the day - Matt and Claire - were of a similar view.  A text message at 0900 from Claire was less than enthusiastic, and at 0930 Matt was still in bed suffering with a bout of Thorsby induced Jagerbomb hangover.  Anyway, I got to Slipper at 10:30, on the water by 10:45, with Matt and Claire joining me at 11:45 or so (that's 45 minutes after high water, tut tut).

The objective for the day was to try more downwind sailing using the 4th dimension technique.  So learning for the day:

- The rig is super sensitive to vang.  You need enough to keep the leech from going forward of the mast, but with the leech still 'breathing' by 12" or so, this range is surprisingly narrow.  More wind induces more twist at the top of the rig, so more vang is required (note to self: 5 for the F4, 6.5 for the F6 gusts).  Too much vang means you often gybe as you get BTL.
- The boat whisperer video talks about using both sheet and balance to steer the boat.  In the stronger winds I found that balance was enough to initiate a transition - using the sheet as well seemed less controlled, especially on the BTL->BR transition.  Sheet is still required to complete the transition, but maybe not so much to initiate.
- The transitions don't have to be fast, just so long as the boat is committed into the turn.  Fast turns need corrective body weight that I don't have!  The movements required are very subtle, even in stronger winds.

I had one capsize today, when I dropped too much sheet on a transition to BTL.  Despite applying full rudder, the twist at the top of the sail put me in to windward, when I was on a BTL beam reach.  At least I understand why it happened.

Things that need work:

- Not happy with bear-aways today, too much rudder and not enough hiking/sheet. 
- The short straps are still great in a straight line, but getting into them after a tack is a nightmare.
- Foot placement for a tack is still not great.  I tried to keep my weight forward through the tack by ensuring that my feet were always close to the mainsheet block, a good objective but not easy.
- I am sure that fully planing gybes are possible, and that it is a question of technique.  That I don't have.

All in all a good days training in difficult conditions.  Another 20 of those and I will have improved as a sailor, can't wait for the day when I look forward to downwind legs in a F6.

Matt and Claire looked to be having great fun, despite the Jagerbombs.  Claire described the session as the fastest she has been in a dinghy.  Matt described it as a partial hangover cure, and has asked to borrow the Inner Game of Tennis in an attempt to instill some positive mental attitude.

Racing at TISC tomorrow, hopefully the wind will hold up.

No comments:

Post a Comment