Sunday 17 March 2013

Finding the top end

Another little practice session with reinstated training partner Claire yesterday.  Forecast a force 4-5 Southerly wind, quite cold, but looked lovely in the harbour.  We could see the Merlins heading out from CYC to the Stocker bank area for their open meeting, looked to bit on in the main channels so we decided to stay local.

I launched first into a solid f5 in the Thorney channel, not easy conditions to sail dead downwind, but doable.  Then the disaster of the day - as Claire was launching her centreboard fell into the water and was never seen again!  Fortunately she has a spare which means we can get out later on today.

Anyway the wind was due to drop, but not the case.  The wind built to 22-27 knots (according to Cambermet), which made for an interesting sail.  At the moment, I'm weighing in at 67kg, and I can confirm that 22-28 knots is the limit for my weight and sailing ability in the 300.  On a beam reach (with full kicker), sheeted nearly right out, I was almost fully hiking to correct the moment of the wind drag on the rig in the gusts!  Bearing away was as interesting experience, wish I had mounted the video camera on the boat.

Anyway, I made it back to the shore in one piece, and survive to tell the tale.  The 300 is my first foray into single handed sailing, and with 10m2 of sail it's a bit of a baptism by fire in stronger winds.  I wonder whether I might try a boat with a bit less, perhaps a Laser Radial.  Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment